Hardgainer Routines by Iron Addicts

An excerpt from:
Iron Addicts “My Top 10 Lifting Routines”
By Wesley Silveira (RIP)

IA

Someone asked me the other day that even though I trained people so many different ways I must have a favorite way to train. And I told them that I do have a favorite way to train myself, but not a favorite way to train everyone because everyone is quite different and there truly is no “one size fits all” when it comes to training protocols, since what may be absolute magic for one guy, will be the worst possible option for another. That said I do have 5 different formats (and sub routines within them all) that fit an extremely large percentage of the lifters out there. Here they are if anyone is interested.

Hardgainer/Low Volume/Frequency Routine
This format is one that after everyone reads the routines, not one in 20 will pick this one, and the truth is, many of the 20 will do better on this one than any of the others. Why will no one pick it? It’s not “flashy” it doesn’t have a fancy name, nor will most guys ever believe it could be “enough” work after reading “Flex” and the like seeing the “routines of the pro’s”. Well the truth is those damn routines of the “pro’s” work for a select few and most guys reading this are not likely to one of those guys.

Day One:

Dips or Bench Press 2-3 x 6-8

Incline Press, or incline Fly 2 x 10-12

Military Press, Or Hammer Shoulder Press 2-3 x 6-8

Tricep (skull crushers) Extensions or Tricep Pushdowns 2-3 x 10-12

Heavy Abs 3 x 10

Day Two:

Pull-Up 3 sets to failure

Barbell Row 2-3 x 8

EZ-Bar Or Dumbell Curl 1-2 x 10

Squats 2 x 10

Deadlifts, or Stiff-Legged Deadlift 1 x 10

Sub-Routine:

Here is another Hardgainer Style Routine done three days a week. TRUE hardgainers will do MUCH better on the two-day, as will many lifters with fairly good recovery.

Day One:
Dips or Bench Press 2 x 6-8

Incline Press, or incline Fly 2 x 10-12

Military Press, Or Hammer Shoulder Press 2 x 6-8

Tricep (skull crushers) Extensions or Tricep Pushdowns 2 x 10-12

Day Two:

Pull-Up 3 sets to failure

Barbell Row 2 x 8

EZ-Bar Or Dumbell Curl 1 x 10

Heavy Abs 3 x 10

Day Three

Squats 2 x 10

Deadlifts, or Stiff-Legged Deadlift 1 x 10

Pull-Troughs, Glute/Ham Raises, or Reverse Hypers

Here is a routine that most anyone can pull off except for real hardgainers, that rotates every week. This allows more lifts to hit, allowing less monotony, and longer progress before a wall is hit from recruitment pattern burnout. You can also add a 3rd rotation of lifts if you like. This is an extremely solid way to train and is effective for a large variety of lifters. Again, many variations of this basic format are possible, and used dependent on the individual trainee.

Day one, week one

Dips 3 x 10

Incline Bench Press 3 x 6

Lateral Raise 4 x 10

Laying Tricep Extensions 3 x 8-10

Day two, week one

Wide Grip Pull-Down/Up 3 x 8

Chest Supported Row, or Barbell Row 3 x 8-10

Barbell Curl 3 x 10

Resistance Abs 3 x 10

Day three, week one

Squat 3 x 6-10